The #1 way to create a movement.
How to make publicity FUN!
How to stand out in an overcrowded media landscape.
Are you making these 3 mistakes that are blocking you from success?
P.S. There’s another awesome video coming your way in a few days. Stay tuned!
Miss Video 1? No problem! Watch it here.
New Age spirituality is everywhere now. Self-love is exploding and I guess you can say being soulful is certainly #trending. Psychic mediums no longer have little shops but have hit TV shows, there are certainly more life coaches than therapists and the New Age section in your local bookstore no longer collects dust. There’s an amazing open-ness to being connected to your soul and it seems like everyone is joining the party! If you’re part of this amazing movement there’s one very important thing to do — always remain YOU in the WOO-WOO.
The importance of remaining YOU in the WOO
Practice what you preach. Authenticity in spirituality is the MOST important thing to practice and to preach to others. Spirituality is the soul’s practice. It’s your identity and your unique fingerprint in this world. It should reflect only your purest self at all times.
Remaining YOU IN THE WOO isn’t easy; it takes a lot of hard work. The ego loves to hate on your happiness and insert fear into anything it can. So the question is, how do you stay on track with your authentic self? How do you not let your ego run the show when your main shtick as being someone spiritual is all about how bad the ego is?
How can the ego get you trippin’ in spirituality?
The ego loves to trip you up in spirituality. I can name countless times my ego had me trippin’ hard in my soulful practices. Here are a few ways to identify the ego at work:
- The ego will make you believe that spirituality is a competition. Have you ever been in a yoga class and all of a sudden you started mentally competing against the person next to you? You felt the need to push as hard as they were and you weren’t listening to what your body was actually telling you? Oh, how the ego loves a good yoga practice and making everything an unhealthy competition.
- Are you running a soul inspired business? Are you a life coach or blogger? Do you find yourself comparing yourself to others who are doing the same thing? The ego aims to put you up against others and inserts feelings of jealousy and fear.
- Are you new to spirituality? Are you just learning about intuition and manifestation and all of the good things that go along with it? Have you had thoughts of “why am I not getting this?” or “I must not have the intuitive gifts that others have” or “I feel so connected to this but I’m afraid I’ll be judged by my friends and family for believing in this”. The ego is afraid of change and never wants you to step out of what society thinks is “normal”.
Remember one thing and one thing only — the ego is NOT THE TRUTH. The ego is nothing but fear. Keeping it in check takes practice, but is guaranteed to keep you soulfully connected to yourself and to others.
How to keep your ego in check in spirituality:
- Marvelous Mantras – A mantra is a positive truthful word or sentence that you repeat on the regular. It’s believed that a mantra has psychological and spiritual powers to heal. Whenever you recognize your ego speaking, say your mantra.
- It’s not competition – It’s collaboration – It’s not you against the world when it comes to spirituality. It’s the COMPLETE opposite. Spirituality is all about collaboration and learning from each other. It’s creating new relationships with the like-hearted and making a difference as ONE and not as a solo act. Collaboration over ego, always.
- Magic mindset – Be OPEN to the world around you and never let the ego second guess a miracle in the making or one happening right before you. Miracles are real, the ego isn’t.
- Soulful Swag – Wearing something everyday as a reminder to remain centered and authentic. Whenever I put on my Tiny Devotions Mermaid Mala in the morning I can feel the positive energy cruising through my body. When I’m faced with anxiety or my ego starts talking serious smack I grab the stone, close my eyes and speak or think my mantra.
Everyone has a soul, and it’s time to rock it in the best way possible! Be authentic in everything you do, speak and believe in. It’s not competing its collaboration. It’s community and above all it’s love. It’s the root of you and everyone else. Remain YOU in the WOO-WOO of it all!
KELLY MISBIN BIO: Kelly Misbin is an internationally certified life coach, intuitive and medium from Brooklyn, NY. Kelly helps women who believe that they have something different and rare deep down inside of them. They’re ready to be navigated away from fear and are finally ready to come face to face with their most authentic selves. They’re ready to fix old wounds, accept the truth, discover magic and reach towards their goals or just reach towards being present in who they are and what they’re meant to do.
Ever done 108 sun salutations during a yoga class? Or wondered why there are traditionally 108 beads on a mala?The number 108 is auspicious and spiritually significant in many traditions. Here’s a few reasons why the number is so magical…
Heart Chakra: Chakras are the intersections of energy lines in the body, and there are said to be a total of 108 energy lines converging to form the heart chakra. One of them, sushumna leads to the crown chakra, and is said to be the path to self-realization.
Upanishads: It is believed that there are 108 Upanishads, texts of wisdom from the ancient sages.
Desires: There are said to 108 earthly desires.
Time: Some say there are 108 feelings, 36 related to the past, 36 related to the present, and the 36 related to the future.
Planets and Houses: In astrology, there are 12 houses and 9 planets. 12 times 9 equals 108.
Goddess names: There are said to be 108 Indian goddess names.
Sun and Earth: The diameter of the Sun is 108 times the diameter of the Earth. The distance from the Sun to the Earth is 108 times the diameter of the Sun.
Sanskrit alphabet: There are 54 letters in the Sanskrit alphabet. Each has masculine and feminine, shiva and shakti. 54 times 2 is 108.
Chemistry: Interestingly, there are about 115 elements known on the periodic table of the elements. Most of those, around or higher than the number 100 only exist in the laboratory, and some for only thousandths of a second. The number that naturally exist on Earth is around 100.
Astrology: There are 12 constellations, and 9 arc segments called namshas or chandrakalas. 9 times 12 equals 108. Chandra is moon, and kalas are the divisions within a whole.
Breath: Tantra estimates the average number of breaths per day at 21,600, of which 10,800 are solar energy, and 10,800 are lunar energy. Multiplying 108 by 100 is 10,800. Multiplying 2 x 10,800 equals 21,600.
I remember as kids, my sister and I used to wake up to love notes on our bathroom mirror. My mom would use dry erase markers and write us messages to help us start our days in good spirits. Sometimes it was fancy for a holiday or just simply “Good morning, I love you”. Over the years, I have kept this tradition in my own daily life to set reminders for the things I am currently working on. Last year, I was working on “Self Love”.
Self Love is becoming more popular term these days with the growth of the health and wellness industry. It is so vital and important to take care of yourself and to love yourself so you can authentically share your love with others. It’s quite magnetic and I believe it is the root of all health. The more love you can embody, the more you can share your love with others. One very important note about the gift of love is being able to receive love. Many of us know how to give it away, but then we resist allowing it to come in. By falling in love with your self you can start to feel the love within, then sharing and receiving becomes part of the natural ebb and flow.
Here’s are 8 of my many favorite ways to start loving yourself more today!
1. Write yourself love notes!
Write yourself love notes every day. Notes can be written on your bathroom mirror or even on sticky pads placed around your workplace, car or home. I used to look in the mirror in the morning and hear the voice of my inner critic, “you’re too pale, you’re not trim enough, bad hair today, and on and on and on.” Now I can look in the mirror and hear “you look beautiful today”. The note completely shifted my perspective and attitude towards my self, making me much brighter and confident throughout the day. This tool can help you begin to catch your inner critic and shift gears towards a more positive, loving self-image.
2. Pick a mantra
Last year, my mantra was simply “I am self love”. The more I told myself “I am self love” the more love I began to radiate from within. Love is eternal and beautiful in nature. We all have it. Not just some. So pick your mantra and start working with it. Repeat it 3, 10, 50 times a day until it really starts to sink into your psyche.
3. Bathroom Rituals
Pick one that works for you. For me, I love a nice, long bubble bath. Nothing says rest and restore like 30 minutes soaking in a tub full of my favorite salts and essential oils. If you do not have a bathtub, then perhaps you use the shower as a way to cleanse and refresh. Or find your favorite moisturizer to lather all over your body. I recommend saying your mantra as you dry off or apply your moisturizer.
4. Get dressed up!
Put something on right now that makes you feel sexy, cute, confident, and essentially you. Don’t go for the worn out black t-shirt you always wear (that was the old me!) instead try on something new, even if it is just simply adding a mala or a scarf to your ensemble. Wear something that dresses you up in your confident self. Allow it to be comfortable and flowing so you feel free the whole day and observe as your body language starts to change.
5. Make yourself a meal
Skip the drive through and head to the grocery store. Pick up all of your favorite items and spend some time making a meal that sounds delicious to you. I would even encourage experimenting with your own recipe rather than looking one up online. Once you have gathered all of your favorite produce, make sure you spend time washing and cleaning the food. This cleaning process is not only good to keep it healthy and fresh, but you can get your loving hands all over it. So when your body goes to digest, it knows that it was prepared with love. It will help shift your relationship towards food how your body processes the energy.
6. Take a Yoga Class
Yoga is a great way to take some time for introspection. In Yoga, we use the breath as a tool to get back in touch with your body and quiet the chatter of the mind. Yoga helps to center, balance, and calm the nervous system. If you have a little more energy, then perhaps get a little cardio exercise. Physical activity can help decrease stress and increase the number of endorphins in the body. Endorphins help to alleviate the feeling of pain while stimulating the feeling of joy. This will not only reinvigorate your mind but also give you a sense of empowerment to take on your day with strength and ease.
7. Connect with nature
I have found that even for 5 minutes, that feeling the rays of sunshine over my face really replenish my soul. Going outside for a hike or taking a walk on the beach can be just as rejuvenating as a 2-hour nap in the middle of the day. Practice a little bit of gratitude as you walk around the neighborhood and recognize that there is so much beauty in the world. Place your hand on a tree or roll around in the grass. Reconnect with your inner child and play…skip, run, jump, explore. Remember those days of pure joy running around with your friends? Come back to that feeling and spend some quality time with Mother Nature.
Last but not least, and perhaps the best. . . Your body needs rest! A restless body is usually not a happy body (at least not this body!). If you find yourself constantly sleep deprived it cannot only affect your mood but also your metabolism and energy levels. I suggest 7-8 hours per night. It may seem like a lot to the working professional, but your body with thank you for it. You will feel more alive and empowered to take on the day, and you may skip on that afternoon crash when you feel tempted to take a nap or sneak in another coffee. Getting the proper amount of sleep is essential, for you and all those around you! Ladies this is especially important for us as we lack the amount on testosterone that men have to power through the exhaustion. Get your rest and fill up your tanks for the next day.
Enjoy every moment. Be patient with the process. As I mentioned in the beginning, self-love and personal care is not something that happens overnight. For many of us with tainted backgrounds in judgmental environments, we need to rewire the brain to come from love rather than from fear. Usually the root of negative conversations comes from this idea that you are “not enough”. And I am here to reassure you that you are enough. You have endless, boundless amounts of untapped loved stored right in your body. Go digging and start to uncover some of that gold lying within!
Ali Owens is a Yoga Alliance certified teacher based in Manhattan Beach, California.he is a passionate artist, culture enthusiast, and fan of outdoor activities. Her classes are lead in an uplifting and challenging Vinyasa flow, linking movement with each breath in a continuous sequence
Admittedly, I used to be the furthest thing from a member of the “green team.” You know, the open-minded, free thinkers of our society who are mindful of their choices and concerned about making the world a better, healthier place for all? Then, I got sick with a neurological disease and became severely sensitive to chemicals which turned out to be an incredible blessing in so many ways, one of them being that it prompted me to immerse myself in the world of all things green. I had no choice. While the task of switching to a green lifestyle initially seemed exhausting and expensive, it turned out to be one of the most rewarding decisions I have made to date. Of course, all things that promote a healthier environment are fabulous. Still, there certain products I am partial to, ones I make a point to keep handy at all times. Here are my top five favorites, along with the reasons why I find them to be so rad:
1. Spirituality and Health Magazine (the magazine that’s all about going green): Bashing others is rude, it truly is. So, instead of calling out magazines whose pages reek of toxic ink and chemicals, i’ll call out my favorite one that doesn’t -Spirituality and Health Magazine. If you have been lucky enough to indulge in the soul lifting pages of this magazine then you, like me, are most likely a devoted addict already whose only complaint is that it is a bi-monthly publication rather than a monthly one. Spirituality and Health Magazine is a member of the “Better Paper Project of Green America,” meaning their issues are printed on recycled paper in order to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, preserve forests, and prevent solid waste from landfills. The added benefit? No migraines for the chemically sensitive. You can actually have a relaxing time reading a magazine without breathing in harmful toxins. Other magazines such as Light of Consciousness, Natural Health, and several others have jumped on the green bandwagon too. What’s more? It’s not just their quality of pages that rock, the content filling them does too. Visit www.betterpaper.ning.com for a full list of these enlightening, green, soul nourishing magazines.
2. CBD Oil: I know how this sounds, but my head is not connecting the word “green” with “cannabis” solely for the means of getting “high.” No. For me, and plenty of others, pure CBD oil is an absolute life changer if not saver. As someone with epilepsy, being able to replace a laundry list of prescriptions with a single herb is a dream come true. Currently, I am testing a product of CBD oil bathed in probiotics that will be on the market in the near future. However, there are many other companies who are now selling pure, legal CBD oil. There are only trace amounts of the psychoactive ingredient THC in these products, greatly reducing the possibility of getting high from using them. For me, pure CBD oil works to control seizures, kill Candida, reduce inflammation, and so much more. Basically, it’s an entire pharmacy -nature’s pharmacy, of course- packed into one bottle. Stop by Collective Evolution to read more of my articles on the subject. This particular one describes my personal experience with this life saving herb, CBD Oil.
3. Younique Makeup: I think it is beautiful when women are confident enough to strut their stuff without any makeup on, but maybe I am just bias because I was forced to for a few years because of the harmful chemicals in most makeup products. I’m still a girl, though, so when a friend suggested I try the all natural makeup products by Younique, I eagerly jumped on board. Now, I religiously carry three of their products in my purse -the “lovestruck” shade of their “Mood Struck Minerals Lucrative Lipgloss” line, along with their purple and gold eyeshadows for green eyes which are made of 100% all natural mineral pigments.
4. Invigorating, Gluten-free Himalaya Facewash by Botanique Pure Body Care: I hate to sound like a broken record, but for obvious reasons I cannot use mainstream face wash brands because of the chemicals in them. I am also gluten intolerant. Furthermore, though, I believe anyone and everyone can benefit from switching from chemical filled bath and body products to ones like the Gluten-Free Himalaya Facewash by Botanique Pure Body Care. When I first got sick with late stage Lyme Disease, it seemed as if my skin was deteriorating. For some reason, my face looked years older. After finding Himalaya Facewash by Botanique Pure Body Care, though, everything changed. It quickly firmed and smoothed my skin, taking years off my look. Now, I use it religiously and suggest it to just about anybody who is struggling with their skin care. This soap-free cleanser gently, but thoroughly, exfoliates your face with a unique combination of herbal extracts that activate the skin’s natural ability to cleanse itself while simultaneously preserving its pH balance. Refined rice grain is used to wash away dirt and other impurities, and it is infused with Soliga Forest Honey, Lemon Peel, and Rose. Give it a try. Your skin will surely give you a sincere “thank you” in return
5. TOM’S OF MAINE “Apricot Fresh” Long-Lasting Care Deodorant Stick: This one is one of my top favorite green products for obvious reasons. First off, products with aluminum in them contribute to Alzheimer’s and other neurological deficits. With the exception of TOM’S OF MAINE and a few other brands, the majority of deodorants contain aluminum. Also, this deodorant offers 24 hour odor protection in three ways: It uses botanical hops to inhibit the growth of odor causing bacteria, contains zinc ricinoleate to absorb odor, and is infused with encapsulated natural fragrances.
– – –
Their new, interactive website at www.publichealthalert.org is set to launch in June. In the meantime, swing by their new Twitter and Facebook accounts to tune in to their exciting new updates: Facebook.com/publichealthalert.com, and @PHAnewspaper.
You’ve been nursing a crush for quite some time. She’s sweet and funny, in touch with the earth, passionate about all sorts of things (like the environment and really good iced chai lattes), and totally comfortable in her own skin.
Maybe you spied her across a crowded reiki class or you stood next to her at the farmers’ market. Whatever the case may be, you want to date a boho babe.
There are a few things you need to know before you dive headlong into the world of couple’s yoga and shared juicers. Here are six tips to help you date the boho babe of your dreams.
1. Show her that you’re on the same page health-wise
Don’t push the snooze button when it’s time for sun salutations or turn up your nose at her carrot-apple-ginger juice (which, btw, is delicious). Check out early morning yoga at the beach with her and then take her out for some green tea and an acai bowl.
Impress her with your skills in the kitchen by whipping up something healthy and yummy or suggest a new hiking trail that’s got a great view of the city.
2. Let her know when she’s on your mind
We all love honesty and transparency, right? If you’re thinking of her – tell her. See an amazing sunset and wish she was there with you? Take a photo and send it to her. Sitting in traffic? Call her and ask about her day. Going to Hawaii for a week of surfing? Send her one of those coconut postcards and bring back a grass skirt.
3. Surprise her
Tell her to set aside a weekend and arrange a camping trip. Buy her tickets to that concert she has been wanting to see or buy a few sessions with a tarot card reader. Of course, she’d also probably enjoy some Lorna Jane, Lululemon or Beyond Yoga yoga wear or mala beads in her favorite color!
4. Be open to talking about spirituality
If you’re not particularly in touch with your own spirituality it can feel a bit weird when someone starts referencing their chakras or ‘giving it over to the universe.’ Your boho babe is bound to be a spiritual warrior who lives an inspired life. While that doesn’t mean you need to convert to Buddhism tomorrow, it does mean you should be able to talk to her about what keeps her spiritually grounded.
What books does she like to read? Who are her spiritual muses and mentors? Does she meditate? What kind of meditations does she enjoy most?
5. Do what you say you’re going to do
Just because your boho babe is good natured and laidback doesn’t mean you can drop the ball.
Call when you say you’re going to call. Text when you say you’re going to text. If you said you’d take her hang gliding on Wednesday, take her hang gliding on Wednesday.
6. Find out what lights her up – artistically or creatively
What is she doing in her off-hours that thrills and recharges her? Maybe it’s baking lush vegan desserts, finger painting, writing children’s stories, singing at the top of her lungs or hip hop dancing. Go on a search for whatever excites her and then reserve a spot in that dance or cooking class – and go with her!
Now that you know what to do – get out there, lover! Cross the farmers’ market, compliment her choice of heirloom tomatoes, and dive in to what just might be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.
Do you have a magical suggestion on how to date a boho babe? Comment below and tell us all about it!
Check out more of Danielle below!