Self-care and self-love are vital to living a beautiful life. As much as it is necessary to be kind and love others, we must first put ourselves at the top of our priority list. Yoga and meditation are my way of showing my mind, body and soul some nourishment. Getting into a daily routine for yoga and meditation is not as easy as it may seem. It requires a lot of patience, dedication and compassion. Here are some tips to help deepen your practice:
- Set an intention. What are you looking to get out of your practice? Is there something in your life you want more or less of? Think about how you can actively make these changes in your life by setting them and practicing them. What benefits can these intentions serve for yourself and the rest of the world? Be the change you wish to see, as told by Gandhi.
- Do your research. There are SO many books out there that are really helpful in creating more self-awareness. Perhaps there is an area you’re having difficulties fully understanding. Take the time to check out your local bookstore and see if there are any that specialize in the area you’re most curious about. “How to be Compassionate” by His Holiness the Dalai Lama is a recent one that has helped change my thoughts around.
- Practice breathing. Breathing during yoga and meditation is key to getting the most out of your practice. It’s also very important to remind yourself throughout the day to be aware of your breath. You can easily catch yourself with short inhales and exhales. Take the time as much as you can, whether you’re driving, reading or walking around, to ask yourself if you’re really lengthening your inhales and exhales. Fill your lungs up with as much fresh air as it well deserves.
- Be mindful. Before taking any actions or answering any questions, take the time to really observe where you are and what you’re surrounded by. Enjoy the little things in life. You have five senses, so use them! Throughout your day, take a little time to observe yourself. What do you feel on your skin? What do you smell around you? What colors do you see? What sounds are you hearing? What tastes are in your mouth?
- Practice compassion. Compassion for self and compassion for others will really help you be a better you. Stop yourself before judging others. Everyone in the world deserves a chance at a happy life, so rid yourself of jealous thoughts. Appreciate you for who you are and what unique qualities you bring into the world. Be kind and generous. Let your heart expand into the universe and love as much as you can.
What are you waiting for? Start manifesting the best YOU.
Guest Post By: Aerial Cetnar aka Mermaid Yogi